Thursday, December 6, 2012

Failbook




Social networking sites are a nightmare for me, but yet I still continue to look at them multiple times a day. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. . .despite my disdain for them, I have them all.
Every time I log on Facebook I’m appalled by the amount of people who don’t know the difference between there, they’re and their. (I mean, c’mon people, it’s grade-school grammar.) Even worse than the repeat grammar offenders are the people who post controversial status updates just to encourage argument. I myself have the tendency to choose the path of least resistance, so confrontations and arguments are not something I enjoy, (In fact, they bother me so much that I sometimes lay awake at night thinking about all the arguments I’ve ever had, wondering how I could have avoided them.)  so it is beyond my realm of understanding why someone would want to have an argument on a public forum such as Facebook. The third and final thing that bewilders be about social networking sites is the young age at which kids are making Twitters and Facebooks. I’ve had children as young as 7 try to add me as a friend on Facebook! When I was 7 we didn’t even have a computer, and when we did finally get one I spent most of my time on it creating “masterpieces” in Microsoft Paint. At what age will my future children have a Facebook? Will they just be assigned one at birth? Will the nurses say “When you choose a name for your baby we will go ahead and create her own Facebook and update her status to ‘OMG, I WAS JUST BORN GUYS, HAPPY BDAY TO ME’.” *heavy sigh*
So the question remains, WHY do I put myself through the torture of scrolling though Facebook, and Twitter? If it bothers me so much, why don’t I just delete all my social networking accounts? Well, maybe it has something to do with the pictures of baby animals that my grandma posts to my Facebook timeline on a daily basis . . . Or maybe because I follow my celeb crush, Joseph Gordon Levitt on twitter, or because my best friend posts pictures of her Corgi wearing various costumes on Instagram. The smart thing to do would be for me to delete all the folks that annoy me, and only keep the people I truly care about. (Such as my grandma, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and my best friend’s Corgi.) 


3 comments:

  1. I most definitely agree with you about the poor grammar usage over the Internet. It makes me angry when I see a mistake in a Facebook status. So I give them the benefit of the doubt that it was the first and last grammar mistake. But what annoys me is that it turns into a constant thing which highly upsets me.
    Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh totally agree with you! I have to go through and clean up my Facebook page every so often because of all the bad language being posted by friends I didn't think would. I also have to be even more careful because I will soon be a teacher and they don't want to see that stuff. I agree that it is SUCH a distraction, but I try and think of all the funny stuff that gets posted rather than the depressing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clean my facebook up at least 2 a month. I am getting ready to have to do this when I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete